This summertime crab bisque is an easy, yet elegant, accompaniment for warm-weather lunches. Add it to toasted tuna sandwiches and cucumber salad for a special meal.
This recipe can be found in Thymes Remembered: A Lifetime of Treasured Recipes by
The Junior League of Tallahassee, Inc. (First Printing: 1988). This very useful cookbook, given to me by my sister many years ago, is a great source of tried-and-true classics. Happy summertime eating!
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 tablespoon flour
* 1 10-11 oz. can tomato soup
* 1.5 quarts half & half
* 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
* 1 lb. lump crabmeat, crumbled
* salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
* 1 tablespoon sherry (I omit)
1. Saute onion in butter – do not brown.
2. Add flour, stirring constantly to make a paste.
3. Stir in tomato soup, half & half, Old Bay Seasoning, salt and
pepper (optional), and crabmeat. Bring to a simmer, stirring regularly.
4. Add sherry, just before serving (I omit).