There are as many versions of tuna casserole floating around as cans of tuna. My fast and easy version is pure comfort food and a great weeknight go-to. Healthy? Not so much. But probably slightly better for you than fast food! P.S. – there are never any leftovers!
* 1 can tuna, drained (I use water-packed)
* 1 box macaroni and cheese
* 1 medium onion, finely diced
* 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
* 1 cup + small handful shredded cheddar cheese
* 1/2 cup + small handful bread crumbs
* several pats of butter
* crushed red pepper flakes (optional, but highly recommended!)
1. Prepare boxed macaroni & cheese according to pkg. directions (including sauce).
2. In a large bowl, gently mix tuna, prepared mac & cheese, onion, cheddar cheese, bread crumbs, peas and crushed red pepper flakes (optional, but adds a punch!).
3. Place mixture in a sprayed or buttered casserole dish and sprinkle a small handful each of bread crumbs and shredded cheese on top. Finally, evenly distribute several pats of butter across the top and place in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 1 hour.
For a heartier dish, add an extra can of tuna to the mix. Grated Parmesan can also be sprinkled on top of the casserole, for added flavor.